Reconciliation Action Plan
Tourism Australia has a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) to help build a more appealing Australia of tomorrow by ensuring honest and respectful marketing of Indigenous tourism experiences.
The plan, being run in partnership with Reconciliation Australia, re-affirms Tourism Australia’s commitment to strong and productive relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, with the aim of improving awareness of Indigenous tourism.
The RAP identifies strategies to engage Tourism Australia’s staff and the partners it works with to promote Australia as a leisure destination. It focuses on three key areas:
- To increase awareness of Indigenous tourism experiences across the tourism distribution network;
- To raise the profile of Indigenous tourism across government agencies.
- To raise awareness and recognition of the aspirations, culture and achievements of Indigenous Australians amongst TA staff;
- To develop and strengthen relationships with Indigenous stakeholders and the communities they represent and engender respect in Indigenous cultural heritage.
- To work with partners to help them build the capacity of Indigenous tourism operators within the tourism industry;
- To employ, develop and promote Indigenous people and identify mentoring opportunities for Indigenous people interested in joining the tourism industry.